To curb chain snatching, cops to restructure squad.
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Unable to rein in chain snatchers — four incidents were reported on Tuesday and Wednesday — and in view of detection rate of such crime dipping by a sharp 34% in 2012, the Pune city police have decided to restructure its squad dedicated to preventing these crimes.
There was a spurt in incidents of gold chains being snatched in the city in 2012 with 477 cases against 301 in 2011. Detection rate of such crime was 33% in 2012, a dip of 34% from the 67% detection rate seen in 2011, police data reveal.
Speaking to the media during the annual press conference on Thursday, Pune Police Commissioner Gulabrao Pol said they would restructure the crime branch squad that deals with chain snatching and take steps to improve investigation techniques to increase detection rate of cases.
Figures obtained from police show a rise in chain snatching cases in all four zones under the Pune police commissionerate. Compared to 2011, there has been a rise in chain snatching by 71 in Zone I, 27 in Zone II, 53 in Zone III and 25 in Zone IV.
Chain snatching incidents have increased in the jurisdiction of Kothrud, Warje Malwadi, Chatushringi and Vishrantwadi police stations, while it has come down in Kondhwa, Bundgarden and Bharati Vidyapeeth police station limits.
"We studied details like timings, spots and modus operandi. But we found the criminals changed their timings and spots. While in most cases the victims were elderly women, in some incidents chains were snatched from men," said Pol.
"We also laid traps with the help of our woman constables as decoys in areas where repeated chain snatching incidents were reported. But so far it has not resulted in arrests. We also check suspicious motorcycle riders. In most cases, the suspects were on motorcycle," he added.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express