To put on brave face, weakened Naxals kill deputy sarpanch in Gadchiroli
- Lok Sabha polls: Ram Vilas Paswan returns to NDA as BJP-LJP agree on seat-sharing
- UP Police raids Sahara chief Subrata Roy's residence, fails to arrest him
- BJP, AAP and NCP release candidates list for general elections
- TRS MP Vijayashanthi joins Congress day after party rules out merger
- Donât appreciate Khurshid jibe: Rahul
Company dalams, the biggest naxal forces, are operating with depleted strengths of about 38-42 as against their normal strength of 55-60.
Two very senior cadres — south Gadchiroli divisional secretary and member of Dandakaranya Special Zonal Committee Chandranna alias Shekhar and wife Vijaya, who was also member of the divisional committee — surrendered before Andhra Pradesh police a few days ago, dealing a severe blow to the party organisation.
Many dalam commanders had earlier surrendered in Gadchiroli and bordering Rajnandgaon district of Chhattisgarh.
More surrenders, all of them senior cadres, are stated to be in the offing in Gadchiroli soon, sources said. Sources, however, added: "The Naxals are set to augment presence in Gadchiroli with forces borrowed from Chhattisgarh. They are already active in Bhamragarh, Etapalli and Sironcha tehsils and are carrying out regular meetings in Dechhlipetha, Damrancha and Jambia-Gatta areas, very close to the police outposts there."