Toilets to boost self confidence among women, says Union Minister Jairam Ramesh
- Maoists kill at least 7 poll officials, seven others in twin attack in Chhattisgarh
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over 'Kargil won by Muslim soldiers' remark
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- Did not get personal with Narendra Modi, says Rahul Gandhi
Union Minister Jairam Ramesh today said providing toilet to women in the country will instill a sense of confidence, self respect and security among them.
It is shameful that 60 per cent of women in the country still defecate in open and there was a shortage of toilets in the country, he told reporters here.
In the backdrop of recent incidents of violence against women, including the Delhi gang-rape case, the Union Rural Development Minister said it is important to provide toilet to women for their security.
Providing toilet to women will develop a sense of confidence, self respect and security among them, he said. Ramesh asked the Naxals to give up violence and enter
electoral politics if they were sincere about the development of tribals and wanted to return to the national mainstream.
There are several examples of people associated with Naxals returning to the mainstream, he said.
Ramesh expressed concern over the slow pace of development activities in the Naxal-affected areas and said, "development of these areas was essential."
For the progress of the Naxal-hit areas it was important to link even the small villages through roads, he said adding, there was shortage of roads and bridges in such belts.
Proper implementation of Panchayat Extension to Scheduled Area Act by the states concerned can end the problem of Naxalism, the Union Minister said.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit