Too drunk to drive? Call a driver
- Loan waiver, MNREGA, food security, Niyamgiri: Yes, Rahul Gandhi is back
- CPM old order changes, new chief Yechury talks of future
- Death by Breath: On Delhi’s edge, a township of 25,000 more toxic than Delhi
- All decisions I take are for welfare of poor: Narendra Modi
- Paediatrics to gynae, where are the surgeons, physicians?
To cope with increasing cases of drink driving, a cab service was launched in the city last year, however, the company feels the response has been poor.
Launched on December 31, Party Hard Drivers, a Mumbai-based driver supply company, said they were disappointed with the response as compared to Mumbai. "Pune residents are still unaccustomed to the concept of hiring a cab. It could be due to smaller distances to travel within the city and more so because they do not fear the police. In Mumbai, a major transformation came about because of the crack down by the Mumbai traffic police to catch drunk revellers. They were fined, licences suspended and even jailed. It was after this that the fear of getting caught driving drunk was instilled within society," said Ankur Vaid of the city unit of PHD.
Their clientele includes young executives, college students and house wives in the age bracket of 25 to 45 years. A number of clubs and bars in the city also organise a driver to drive their guests home at night on request. Though they do not offer this facility on a regular basis, they make special arrangements for their guests. The requests received by bars and clubs, as well as PHD, are far and few.