Top Lashkar militant killed in Srinagar encounter
- Breaking: Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- Subrata Roy to remain in Tihar, Supreme Court calls Sahara's proposal "dishonourable"
- Arvind Kejriwal stopped on way to meet Narendra Modi
- Modi's next round of Chai pe charcha doesn't have police permission yet
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
A top Lashkar-e-Toiba militant, who was involved in the killing of several civilians in Pattan and Sopore area of north Kashmir, was today killed in an encounter with police in old city area.
On a tip off about presence of self-styled LeT commander Hilal Molvi in the area, police laid a cordon around Narparistan in Fatehkadal area of the city in the early morning on Thursday.
As the police personnel were zeroing in on the target house, the militant fired on them. The cops returned the fire, triggering a brief gun battle, which ended with the killing of the militant, police said.
Three policemen, including an officer, sustained injuries in the operation, they said.
Molvi, a resident of Pattan area in Baramulla district, had taken refuge in the city as security forces had stepped up heat on militants in the district over the past two months.
The slain militant was involved in the killing of several civilians in Pattan and Sopore area of north Kashmir.