Top taxman in CBI net
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats BJP PM candidate Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi attacks Gandhis, says family going strong for 60 years, time to build a strong nation
CBI on Thursday arrested a joint commissioner of Income Tax posted in Thane for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs 3.5 lakh from a businessman to bail him out in a tax evasion case. CBI sources said Sanjeev Ghai was taken into custody after he was caught red-handed accepting the bribe from the businessman.
Sources said Ghai, had approached the businessman through a chartered accountant to settle his case and allegedly demanded Rs 10 lakh, which was later brought down to
Rs 3.5 lakh, they said.
After getting input about the deal, a team of CBI officers laid a trap at Ghai's office and arrested him while he was allegedly accepting the bribe, the sources said.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'