Traffic cop assaulted by couple
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR face stiff CSK challenge in Dubai
A married couple allegedly roughed up a Traffic Police Sub-Inspector in Byculla Tuesday afternoon, after they were found travelling without a driving licence and helmet, police said.
According to the police, Himayat Ali Shah Datta alias Ali Chaudhary alias Raja Chaudhary (43) and Nagina Himayat Ali Chaudhary (35) were stopped outside the Jijamata Udyan in Byculla at 1.15 pm on Tuesday by traffic policemen who were conducting a special drive there. Cops asked the couple to step aside after they were found to be travelling without a licence and helmet.
Himayat Ali and Nagina then stepped down from the vehicle and allegedly got into an argument with a constable and Sub-Inspector Janardhan Patil of the Byculla traffic division, leaving the scooter in the middle of the road. When Patil told the accused to move their scooter as it was blocking traffic, they allegedly shoved him and pulled the collar of his uniform and ripped his badge. He was not injured.
The accused were taken to the Byculla police station. The accused are social workers living in Trombay, the police said. "They have been charged under sections 34 (criminal act done by several persons in furtherance of a common intention), 323 (voluntarily causing hurt), 353 (Assaulting or using criminal force to deter a public servant from discharge of his duty), 503 (criminal intimidation) and 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace) of the IPC. The couple will be produced before the Mazgaon Court on Wednesday," said Police Sub-Inspector Amar Dhenge of the Byculla police station.
Cop, woman hurt as car hits them, driver held
A constable attached with the Mahim police and a pedestrian were injured after they were allegedly knocked down by a speeding car on Monday night. Police have arrested the driver, a 20-year-old man. He was being taught to drive by his elder brother.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'