Traffic crawls as VVIPs descend for high-profile weddings
- India to grow at 7.5 per cent in 2016, faster than China: IMF
- Lalu Yadav, Amit Shah booked for 'Narbhakshi', 'Chara chor' comments
- Nehru's niece returns Sahitya Akademi Award, questions PM's silence on 'reign of terror'
- Delhi MLAs may get 400 per cent hike in salary
- American Airlines plane makes emergency landing after pilot dies mid-flight
Traffic on the Mumbai-Bangalore Highway and Baner Road swelled up on Friday evening as VVIPs, celebrities and other guests arrived for the high-profile wedding of State Forest Minister Patangrao Kadam's son and construction magnate Avinash Bhosale' daughter at Balewadi Sport Complex.
Two other high-profile weddings were on at the same time on the outskirts, Shiv Sena MP Gajanan Babar's son's wedding at Chinchwad, and PMC standing committee chairman and NCP corporator Baburao Chandere's son's wedding near Baner Road area.
Traffic Control officials said that traffic had slowed down on the highway and Baner Road as people and VVIPs who attended the wedding started to leave the venue simultaneously.
"For about an hour the traffic had slowed down on the highway though there was no serious traffic jam reported. The traffic was mostly affected on Baner Road and the traffic cops had a tough time regulating the traffic," said a traffic control room staffer.
As per estimates, over a lakh guests attended the wedding of Vishwajeet Kadam and Swapnali Bhosale. Vishwajeet is city Youth Congress leader.