Tram, auto fare hike may be next
- Rajnath Singh does a Sonia Gandhi, meets top Shia clerics in Lucknow
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
Kolkata: Calcutta Tramways Company (CTC) and auto unions are the latest to demand fare hike in the wake of the state government's decision to increase bus and taxi fares after prolonged negotiations. "I have written to Transport Minister Madan Mitra for hiking the tram fare by Re 1 in all the slabs. We will not be able to survive otherwise, given the rise in electricity charges," said Shanti Lal Jain, CMD of the CTC.
Auto union leaders too are demanding hike in fares in the wake of rise in fuel prices. "We are in the process of doing the paper works to ascertain the number of active routes in the city and the number of autos plying on the routes. That will be done within a couple of days and then we will call a meeting to ascertain what kind of hike proposal we will send to the transport department," said Kishore Ghose, secretary, Auto Drivers' Union. Transport Minister has assured to look into their demands.
Gangrape case: Two suspects absconding
Kolkata: Police are yet to trace the other two suspects in the Diamond City North rape incident. Baldip Singh and Jaspal Singh alias Joseph, are still absconding. The medical test was conducted on the 14-year-old girl who was allegedly gangraped by three footballers and their cook on Monday. "We have got the test reports today but I can't disclose them," said DC-DD Barrackpore Police Kalyan Mukhopadhyay. Police have also requested for a test identification parade. Meanwhile, sources said that a team of police left for Uttar Pradesh as the two absconders's mobile phones were traced in that state.
Cop dies at home
Kolkata: A Kolkata Police ASI, Swarna Kamal Chatterjee, posted in Kidderpore died under mysterious circumstance at his residence in Khardaha in North 24-Parganas on Thursday. He had returned home in the afternoon after visiting his ailing sister at the hospital. He got into the bathroom to freshen up and after he came out, his family members noticed his mouth was full of froth. He was rushed to BN Bose Hospital where he died.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties