Tram, auto fare hike may be next
- Elections 2014 LIVE: In Rae Bareli, Priyanka Gandhi says her husband Robert Vadra is being maligned
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- IPL spot fixing: Do you want to probe charges against Srinivasan? SC asks Justice Mudgal panel
- Centre calls off trip over China no to Arunachal youth
- Hate speeches: Modi says petty statements by 'BJP well wishers deviating poll campaign'
Kolkata: Calcutta Tramways Company (CTC) and auto unions are the latest to demand fare hike in the wake of the state government's decision to increase bus and taxi fares after prolonged negotiations. "I have written to Transport Minister Madan Mitra for hiking the tram fare by Re 1 in all the slabs. We will not be able to survive otherwise, given the rise in electricity charges," said Shanti Lal Jain, CMD of the CTC.
Auto union leaders too are demanding hike in fares in the wake of rise in fuel prices. "We are in the process of doing the paper works to ascertain the number of active routes in the city and the number of autos plying on the routes. That will be done within a couple of days and then we will call a meeting to ascertain what kind of hike proposal we will send to the transport department," said Kishore Ghose, secretary, Auto Drivers' Union. Transport Minister has assured to look into their demands.
Gangrape case: Two suspects absconding
Kolkata: Police are yet to trace the other two suspects in the Diamond City North rape incident. Baldip Singh and Jaspal Singh alias Joseph, are still absconding. The medical test was conducted on the 14-year-old girl who was allegedly gangraped by three footballers and their cook on Monday. "We have got the test reports today but I can't disclose them," said DC-DD Barrackpore Police Kalyan Mukhopadhyay. Police have also requested for a test identification parade. Meanwhile, sources said that a team of police left for Uttar Pradesh as the two absconders's mobile phones were traced in that state.
Cop dies at home
Kolkata: A Kolkata Police ASI, Swarna Kamal Chatterjee, posted in Kidderpore died under mysterious circumstance at his residence in Khardaha in North 24-Parganas on Thursday. He had returned home in the afternoon after visiting his ailing sister at the hospital. He got into the bathroom to freshen up and after he came out, his family members noticed his mouth was full of froth. He was rushed to BN Bose Hospital where he died.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready