Tribal students steal the show at Sonia Gandhi function
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
A group of tribal students hogged the limelight for displaying their management skills at a function in Thane district wherein Congress president Sonia Gandhi launched a child healthcare programme yesterday.
Clad in necktie and blazer, a group of 34 children, all students of state-run ashram schools from tribal pockets in Thane district, flagged off medical vans, compered from the stage from where Gandhi launched Rashtriya Bal Swasthya Karyakram, delivered welcome speech and also proposed a vote of thanks in chaste English and Hindi.
The students were skimmed off from among their peers by the district administration and provided training for the event, a district official said, adding they were given a special training in presentation skills and audition.
For the students who seldom stepped out of their hamlets and spoke any language other than a Marathi dialect, delivering the welcome speech for the Congress president in English and Hindi was not a mean achievement.
Their efforts were recognised by dignitaries and even the Congress president mentioned in her speech the good job done by them.