Tribute to martyrs at War Memorial today
- Supreme Court denies bail for Sahara chief Subrata Roy
- December 16 gangrape: Delhi HC upholds death sentence of four convicts
- US investigators suspect missing Malaysia jetliner flew for hours after losing contact
- Shiv Sena hits out at BJP, asks it to follow "alliance dharma"
- US court dismisses Devyani Khobragade's indictment in visa fraud case
A Candle lighting ceremony will be held at the Chandigarh War Memorial in Bougainvillea Garden, Sector 3, at 7 pm on Friday to commemorate the Kargil Vijay Divas.
Kargil Vijay Divas is held on July 26 every year to commemorate the victory of the Indian Army and Air Force over the Pakistan Army in the Kargil region in 1999. As many as 527 officers and soldiers had laid down their lives in defence of the country.
Dignitaries from different walks of life, next of kin of martyrs, schoolchildren as well as serving and retired armed forces personnel will assemble at the Chandigarh War Memorial.
The Chandigarh War Memorial was dedicated to the nation by former President Dr A P J Abdul Kalam on August 17, 2006. The Indian Express took the initiative of building the memorial. The memorial has more than 10,500 names of martyrs who laid down their lives for the country since Independence. The names of martyrs from the region — Punjab, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh apart from Chandigarh — are etched on the memorial.