Tribute to martyrs at War Memorial today
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Thousands join Narendra Modi as he begins roadshow ahead of filing nomination from Varanasi
- Modi to Cong: Just 20 days more...Will take revenge
- SC to frame rules to snip govt ads
- Donât allow regional parties to contest LS polls: Chavan
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Modi urges youngsters to vote; Medha Patkar alleges money distribution by parties
A Candle lighting ceremony will be held at the Chandigarh War Memorial in Bougainvillea Garden, Sector 3, at 7 pm on Friday to commemorate the Kargil Vijay Divas.
Kargil Vijay Divas is held on July 26 every year to commemorate the victory of the Indian Army and Air Force over the Pakistan Army in the Kargil region in 1999. As many as 527 officers and soldiers had laid down their lives in defence of the country.
Dignitaries from different walks of life, next of kin of martyrs, schoolchildren as well as serving and retired armed forces personnel will assemble at the Chandigarh War Memorial.
The Chandigarh War Memorial was dedicated to the nation by former President Dr A P J Abdul Kalam on August 17, 2006. The Indian Express took the initiative of building the memorial. The memorial has more than 10,500 names of martyrs who laid down their lives for the country since Independence. The names of martyrs from the region — Punjab, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh apart from Chandigarh — are etched on the memorial.
- Arvind Kejriwal lashes out at BJP for attack on Somnath Bharti
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling
- Hyderabad blast 2013: Agencies hunt for Mangalore ‘source’
- Police raids Giriraj Singh's home to arrest him for hate remarks
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police