Tributes pour in for retiring Ricky Ponting
- Rail Budget 2015: No hike in passenger fares, Prabhu promises modern rail network
- Rail Budget: Ally Shiv Sena not satisfied, but Mulayam says Prabhu has done a 'good job'
- Rail Budget futuristic and passenger centric: PM Modi
- PDP, BJP thrash out differences; all clear for Mufti-Modi meeting tomorrow
- Hummer horror: Senior policeman suspended for secretly meeting Kerala businessman
"Congratulations Ricky Ponting for an incredible career. The most successful skipper n brilliant batsman. Wish legends could stay forever," tweeted Indian batsman Suresh Raina. In the 375 ODIs he has played, Ponting accumulated 13,704 runs, scoring 30 centuries, with a highest score of 164 and an average of 42.03. He has, however, not played in the ODIs since being dropped from the team in February this year.
Nicknamed 'Punter' by Shane Warne for his penchant for a bet (punt) on the greyhounds, Ponting has scored 41 centuries, third in the all-time list behind Tendulkar (51) and South African Jacques Kallis (44).
"Huge respect for how Ponting played the game. Tough competitor Aussies will miss him. 100 at Perth to finish?" tweeted English pacer Stuart Broad.
The South African Cricketers' Association also lauded Ponting.
"Congratulations to Ricky Ponting on an outstanding career. You will be missed but never forgotten," SACA said on its twitter page.