Tributes pour in for retiring Ricky Ponting
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Bharatiya Janata Party releases second list of candidates for Lok Sabha elections
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
"Congratulations Ricky Ponting for an incredible career. The most successful skipper n brilliant batsman. Wish legends could stay forever," tweeted Indian batsman Suresh Raina. In the 375 ODIs he has played, Ponting accumulated 13,704 runs, scoring 30 centuries, with a highest score of 164 and an average of 42.03. He has, however, not played in the ODIs since being dropped from the team in February this year.
Nicknamed 'Punter' by Shane Warne for his penchant for a bet (punt) on the greyhounds, Ponting has scored 41 centuries, third in the all-time list behind Tendulkar (51) and South African Jacques Kallis (44).
"Huge respect for how Ponting played the game. Tough competitor Aussies will miss him. 100 at Perth to finish?" tweeted English pacer Stuart Broad.
The South African Cricketers' Association also lauded Ponting.
"Congratulations to Ricky Ponting on an outstanding career. You will be missed but never forgotten," SACA said on its twitter page.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today