Trinamool not to contest CPI-M in Tripura
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
Arch political rival of CPI-M, Trinamool Congress has decided not to contest the February 14 Tripura assembly polls to give benefit to opposition Congress.
President of Tripura Trinamol Pradesh Committee Manik Deb said TC high command led by Mamata Banerjee have instructed them not put up candidates in Tripura elections on the plea that the leaders would remain busy for the three bi-elections in West Bengal in February and Panchayat elections in April.
To a question he said, "It is not a question of giving less importance to Tripura. It is a question of priority. If our party becomes stable in West Bengal we would be able to spread our organisations in other state, though we expressed our desire to contest in the elections."
"We have decided to maintain equal distance from CPI-M and Congress both," Deb said.
Tripura unit of TC itself is a divided house over participation in the elections which became clear from the remarks of Chairman of Adhoc Committee of TC, Arun Chandra Bhowmick.
"I think our high command has taken the right decision of not contesting the elections in Tripura because the non left votes would have been divided giving advantage to CPI-M," Bhowmick said.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment