Tripura, a model for the entire country: CPI-M
- Solar scam case: Kerala court orders FIR against CM Oommen Chandy
- Supreme Court recalls order appointing former judge Virendra Singh as UP Lokayukta
- Arunachal Governor cited ‘cow slaughter’ protest as one sign of law & order collapse in state
- BJP leader held for alleged cow slaughter in Madhya Pradesh, gets expelled from party
- Indian-American Muslims flay Government move against AMU, Jamia
The governance model in Tripura is an example for the country, and the Centre and other states have a lot to learn from it, CPI-M Politburo member and Leader of the Opposition in West Bengal Suryakanta Mishra said on Thursday.
"It is a model on how to develop a state, how to improve quality of life, how to expand democracy at the grassroot level and how to crush insurgency. It is a model for the entire country," Mishra said.
"Now, we are making self-introspection about our faults in running administration, politics and organisations and going back to people and getting good response in West Bengal. The governance model in Tripura is an example and we have a lot of things to learn from it. Not only us but the Centre and other states also have things to learn from it," he said.
The Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council (TTAADC), he said, should be a model for solving the Gorkhaland problem.
"It is unfortunate that the way the tripartite accord was signed on Darjeeling Hill Council without holding all-party meeting and the agreement itself gave scope for expansion of the council area from the present area. Congress and TMC cannot evade this responsibility now," he said.
He said, Tripura's experience of combating insurgency could be useful in crushing Maoist activities in other states.
Mishra said the slogan of 'Paribartan' (Change) given by the Opposition Congress would have no impact in the February 14 elections in Tripura and the seventh Left Front government would be installed with massive mandate.
- Dalit scholar’s death exposed inability of casteist Hindu to be modern
- Annotated edition of Hitler's Mein Kemph
- Why yuan matters Indian equity markets
- R-day and the saccharine sweet patriotism
- It is clear PM’s concept of nationhood extends beyond constitutional parameters
- The sensitive and old controversy about the minority character of AMU