Tripura, a model for the entire country: CPI-M
- BJP unhappy over Gadkari-Raj meeting, says it's a closed chapter
- You told us go to hell, says Supreme Court, sends Subrata Roy to jail
- Special circumstances forced govt to take ordinance route: Salman Khurshid
- Nitin Gadkari-Raj Thackeray closeness could 'affect' alliance, hints Shiv Sena
- TRS wonât merge, Congress readies to walk alone in both Andhra and Bihar
The governance model in Tripura is an example for the country, and the Centre and other states have a lot to learn from it, CPI-M Politburo member and Leader of the Opposition in West Bengal Suryakanta Mishra said on Thursday.
"It is a model on how to develop a state, how to improve quality of life, how to expand democracy at the grassroot level and how to crush insurgency. It is a model for the entire country," Mishra said.
"Now, we are making self-introspection about our faults in running administration, politics and organisations and going back to people and getting good response in West Bengal. The governance model in Tripura is an example and we have a lot of things to learn from it. Not only us but the Centre and other states also have things to learn from it," he said.
The Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council (TTAADC), he said, should be a model for solving the Gorkhaland problem.
"It is unfortunate that the way the tripartite accord was signed on Darjeeling Hill Council without holding all-party meeting and the agreement itself gave scope for expansion of the council area from the present area. Congress and TMC cannot evade this responsibility now," he said.
He said, Tripura's experience of combating insurgency could be useful in crushing Maoist activities in other states.
Mishra said the slogan of 'Paribartan' (Change) given by the Opposition Congress would have no impact in the February 14 elections in Tripura and the seventh Left Front government would be installed with massive mandate.
He expressed hope that Left Front government would return to West Bengal and Kerala in course of time.
- ‘Indo-Dutch BIPA does not cover tax’
- Shivaji memorial to get grander with an oceanarium
- IRS officer gets 5 years in jail for corruption
- For ‘cheering’ Pakistan in India match, university in Meerut suspends 67 Kashmiri students
- Techie murder: Suspect’s sister was first to alert cops
- All gas discoveries not viable even at $8: Sarraf