TTE held for attempted rape on train
- Elections 2014 LIVE: 60 pc voting in Bengal till 1 pm; Jaitley slams Rahul over 'ullu' barb
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- Is there a vikas vote? Healthier babies make not a whimper on campaign pitch in Hazaribagh
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
The Government Railway Police (GPR) on Wednesday arrested train ticket examiner (TTE) Shailendra Kumar Nigam for allegedly trying to rape a passenger in Saharsa-bound Purabia Express train.
The incident took place late on Monday night, but the police registered case in Moradabad on Tuesday after the victim's father, Sunil Chapria, sent a complaint through fax.
Nigam was produced in a court in Moradabad which sent him to judicial custody.
Senior Divisional Commercial Manager of the Railways' Lucknow Division Ashwini Srivastava said Nigam had been put under suspension and a departmental inquiry ordered. Moradabad Superintendent of Police RK Bhardwaj said the victim, along with two friends, was traveling in an AC coach of the Purabia Express from Delhi to Khalilabad in UP when the incident took place near JP Nagar.
GRP Inspector Ayub Khan said the victim, on reaching home, informed her father who contacted senior police officers and sent his complaint through fax. A case of attempt to rape was registered and Nigam was arrested from his Lucknow residence.
Another team was went to the girl's house in Sant Kabir Nagar to record her statement. Ayub said that, according to the complaint, when the train reached near JP Nagar at 12.30 pm, Nigam came to the girls in a drunken state and started misbehaving with them. He also forcibly tried to take one of them to another seat. He left the place when the girls cried for help.
Ayub said that the victim stated that except for one youth, no other person present in the compartment came forward for their help.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18