TTE held for attempted rape on train
- Malaysia signals missing plane carrying 239 including 5 Indians has crashed
- Disquiet in BJP as M M Joshi, Sushma raise questions over selected candidates and seat sharing
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Venkaiah Naidu
- Rest in freeze: Is Ashutosh Maharaj 40-day âclinically deadâ or a guru in a very long meditation?
The Government Railway Police (GPR) on Wednesday arrested train ticket examiner (TTE) Shailendra Kumar Nigam for allegedly trying to rape a passenger in Saharsa-bound Purabia Express train.
The incident took place late on Monday night, but the police registered case in Moradabad on Tuesday after the victim's father, Sunil Chapria, sent a complaint through fax.
Nigam was produced in a court in Moradabad which sent him to judicial custody.
Senior Divisional Commercial Manager of the Railways' Lucknow Division Ashwini Srivastava said Nigam had been put under suspension and a departmental inquiry ordered. Moradabad Superintendent of Police RK Bhardwaj said the victim, along with two friends, was traveling in an AC coach of the Purabia Express from Delhi to Khalilabad in UP when the incident took place near JP Nagar.
GRP Inspector Ayub Khan said the victim, on reaching home, informed her father who contacted senior police officers and sent his complaint through fax. A case of attempt to rape was registered and Nigam was arrested from his Lucknow residence.
Another team was went to the girl's house in Sant Kabir Nagar to record her statement. Ayub said that, according to the complaint, when the train reached near JP Nagar at 12.30 pm, Nigam came to the girls in a drunken state and started misbehaving with them. He also forcibly tried to take one of them to another seat. He left the place when the girls cried for help.
Ayub said that the victim stated that except for one youth, no other person present in the compartment came forward for their help.