TTE held for attempted rape on train
- Mandate reflects wisdom of Bihar, it's the defeat of intolerance: Nitish Kumar
- Man who helped build brand Modi, propped Nitish Kumar's campaign in Bihar
- Global media finds BJP's debacle in Bihar a setback for Modi
- Nitish to be Bihar CM, Lalu to launch nation-wide stir against Modi
- PM Narendra Modi congratulates Nitish Kumar, who says 'thank you'
The Government Railway Police (GPR) on Wednesday arrested train ticket examiner (TTE) Shailendra Kumar Nigam for allegedly trying to rape a passenger in Saharsa-bound Purabia Express train.
The incident took place late on Monday night, but the police registered case in Moradabad on Tuesday after the victim's father, Sunil Chapria, sent a complaint through fax.
Nigam was produced in a court in Moradabad which sent him to judicial custody.
Senior Divisional Commercial Manager of the Railways' Lucknow Division Ashwini Srivastava said Nigam had been put under suspension and a departmental inquiry ordered. Moradabad Superintendent of Police RK Bhardwaj said the victim, along with two friends, was traveling in an AC coach of the Purabia Express from Delhi to Khalilabad in UP when the incident took place near JP Nagar.
GRP Inspector Ayub Khan said the victim, on reaching home, informed her father who contacted senior police officers and sent his complaint through fax. A case of attempt to rape was registered and Nigam was arrested from his Lucknow residence.
Another team was went to the girl's house in Sant Kabir Nagar to record her statement. Ayub said that, according to the complaint, when the train reached near JP Nagar at 12.30 pm, Nigam came to the girls in a drunken state and started misbehaving with them. He also forcibly tried to take one of them to another seat. He left the place when the girls cried for help.
- Bihar has been transformed from the graveyard of revolutions to a source of new hope
- Why is Singapore pushing liberal arts?
- Bihar polls may serve Modi a reminder of why he was voted to power
- Modi, Shah hype, lack of CM candidate, may have scuppered BJP's chances
- Across the aisle: Win or lose, Mr Modi will be on test in Bihar polls
- Reverse Swing: Narendra Modi's governance is a lost opportunity