TV at your Fingertips
- Kumar Vishwas claims threat to life, to file FIR against Rahul and Priyanka
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Watch video: Baba Ramdev caught on camera discussing money with BJP candidate
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 2 States movie review: Alia Bhatt is a surprise
The channel cites the example of the Facebook app launched to increase the recall value of their show, Ramayan. It gave the users an online darshan of a Ram-Sita temple, allowing them to perform virtual aarti and people from all age groups used it.
The biggest advantage of the platform is its scope for interaction — from allowing viewers, especially NRIs, who constitute a significant segment, to watch previous episodes, to inviting online feedback, auditions and votes. Channels even get viewers to share ideas and instances from their personal life to "enhance" their shows, thereby increasing personal connect. "After we received feedback that viewers missed watching Sony's older shows, such as Aahat and Ek Mahal Ho Sapno Ka (1999), we have made our prominent shows available online," says Nitesh Kripalani, senior vice-president - New media, Business Development and Digital/Syndication.
Bindass, a youth-based GEC, has taken their digital presence a step further by creating standalone web-based series, such as Chickipedia and Mentals. This has helped them cultivate an all-new audience for the digital platform independent of their channel. "It's easier to do that using a traditional media brand and then re-engineer it for the audience online," explains Sameer Pitalwalla, director – Video and Celebrity, Disney UTV.
To optimise brand consolidation that the digital medium allows, GECs are, therefore, channelising part of their marketing budget towards new media. It does not necessarily bring in new viewers, but does help retain the existing ones. Channels also see the scope of monetising this online following. "In about four months, we expect to bring in advertisers on Sony Liv," says Kriplani. Bindass could bring AXE on board as the sponsor for Chickipedia. "This series with 31 episodes had over 1.5 million views on YouTube," Pitalwalla adds.
The scope for the medium will only increase with time. "The numbers are exciting. Today, India has 90 crore mobile subscribers, 13 crore internet users and five crore-plus smart phone users. This number is, for course, growing," points out Srivastava.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer