Twitter shortens tweets to only 120 characters over security concerns
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Two convicts get death sentence, life imprisonment for one
- Ban pellet guns in Kashmir, Omar Abdullah-led delegation asks PM Modi
- PM Modi, Afghan President Ghani jointly inaugurate renovated Stor Palace
- AAP doesn't have money to fight election: Kejriwal
- Kicking off UP poll campaign, Mayawati slams BJP-RSS, SP, is soft on Congress
Micro blogging platform Twitter has asked its members to use fewer characters to express themselves. Previously, including a web link cut the number of characters available in each tweet from the full 140 to 120.
Now when Twitter members want to share a URL there are only 118 left in which to add commentary. If the website being linked to uses the more secure "https" protocol, there are now only 117 characters, where previously there were 119, the Telegraph reports. The change was announced to web developers in December, but has been implemented now.
When members post a link, Twitter automatically "wraps" it in another link beginning t.co, even when another URL-shortening service such as bit.ly is used.
- Cow protection, paradoxically, poses a threat to the BJP’s project of Hindu unity
- The government needs to distinguish between crooked NGOs and genuine ones
- India’s quest for Olympic medals is hampered by history and geography
- The Modi government is meeting its development targets before time
- Raja Mandala: The Great Wall of China
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon