Twitter shortens tweets to only 120 characters over security concerns
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Micro blogging platform Twitter has asked its members to use fewer characters to express themselves. Previously, including a web link cut the number of characters available in each tweet from the full 140 to 120.
Now when Twitter members want to share a URL there are only 118 left in which to add commentary. If the website being linked to uses the more secure "https" protocol, there are now only 117 characters, where previously there were 119, the Telegraph reports. The change was announced to web developers in December, but has been implemented now.
When members post a link, Twitter automatically "wraps" it in another link beginning t.co, even when another URL-shortening service such as bit.ly is used.
According to the paper, Twitter said that this process allows it to protect the service from malicious websites that might spread computer viruses and track the most popular links being shared.
- â€˜Someone should remind the CM weâ€™re also aam aadmi. But theyâ€™ve turned us intoÂ demonsâ€™
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun