Twitter shuts down accounts tweeting naked images of children
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
Micro blogging platform Twitter has shut down a number of accounts that had been tweeting naked images of children as young as seven or eight.
The depth of the problem was revealed on Christmas Eve when hacktivist group Anonymous started a name and shame campaign called "Operation Pedo Hunt."
According to News.com.au, over 50 accounts containing child exploitation were subsequently reported to Twitter.
Anonymous published three documents containing the names of the accounts identified.
It also revealed the Twitter handles of the hundreds of people that had been following them.
The hackers claimed they would be working to identify the names, occupations, addresses and phone numbers of people viewing child porn through Twitter, the report said.
According to the report, the social network is obligated to remove all child exploitation material and alert the appropriate federal authorities who have jurisdiction over the alleged offenses.