Thiruvananthapuram: Two arrested for allegedly raping IT professional at resort
- JD(U) rules out tie-up, Lalu starts own campaign, clock ticks down for Congress
- Judge among 11 dead in Pakistan court in alleged suicide attack
- In UP, Modi takes on Mulayam, says SP misleading people under veil of secularism
- Rahul Gandhi's ordinance shortcut loses way
- Vigilance complaints pile up as Delhi Police doesnât know password
Two housekeeping men were arrested on charges of raping an IT professional from Bangalore at Poovar Island Resort last week.
The arrested workers hail from Assam and were employed by an agency supplying housekeeping staff. The premier island resort, situated in an island 30 km away from state capital, is a unit of Floatels India Private Limited.
According to police, the first accused, who tried to rape the 41-year-old woman, had joined the job only two months back, while the other had been with the agency for last two years.
The duo had loosened the bolts and screw of the backdoor of the cottage when the woman had gone for dinner. The assailants lurched in the backside of the cottage and got inside after ensuring that the woman had slept.
During the assault, the woman managed to escape from the men. The woman, a native of West Bengal, was among a 30-odd team of IT professionals from Bangalore.
The issue had exposed the lack of security measures at the resorts. The state women's commission had flayed the resort for its failure to provide adequate security to the guests. Due to shortage of domestic labour, the tourism and hotel industry in Kerala is heavily banking on the migrant workers from North and Northeast India.
- War in Congress: Old soldiers fight Rahul brigade | The Indian Express
- ‘Allegations against Somnath Bharti prime facie correct, police justified in refusing Khirki Extension raid’
- Clash of the stalwarts: Uttar Pradesh set for Modi, Kejriwal rallies today
- Won’t return to NDA even if Narendra Modi is not PM candidate: JD(U)