Two arrested for duping businessmen of Rs 5 lakh
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
The Pune police have arrested two persons who allegedly duped a city-based businessman of Rs 5 lakh by promising him that they could double his money through "black magic".
Police have identified the suspect as Mumraj alias Thapa alias Bahadur Jagatsingh Chouhan (38) of Ganesh Nagar, Yerawada and Babaji alias Pintya Maharaj alias Anil Haribhau Thakre (35) of Nashik. Chouhan is a native of Uttar Pradesh.
Govind Kamlakar Kulkarni (35), a resident of Gulabrao Park in Navi Sangvi lodged the cheating complaint at Yerawada police station.
Police said the suspects approached Kulkarni in April 2012. One of them, Chouhan, told Kulkarni that Thakre alias Babaji can double money through witchcraft and took Rs 5 lakh from him. Around 1 am on April 17, 2012, Chouhan, Thakre and Kulkarni along with his friends Mahesh Devde, Kiran Raskar and Sikander left for Malgaon in Nashik district in a van.
Around 8.30 pm, the suspects took Kulkarni and his friends in bushes and scared them by saying that the area is haunted and can pose a danger to life.
The suspects then fled with the cash.
Police arrested the suspects on Wednesday and produced them in court on Thursday.
The court remanded the duo in police custody till December 9.