Two arrested for duping businessmen of Rs 5 lakh
- Dawood Ibrahim will be nabbed soon: Rajnath Singh
- NEET ordinance gets President Pranab's assent ahead of China visit
- Assam swearing-in today: AGP, BPF may get two berths each in cabinet
- Uttarakhand sting CD case: CM Harish Rawat appears at CBI headquarters
- Amid big red flags, small green shoots point to uptick in economic growth
The Pune police have arrested two persons who allegedly duped a city-based businessman of Rs 5 lakh by promising him that they could double his money through "black magic".
Police have identified the suspect as Mumraj alias Thapa alias Bahadur Jagatsingh Chouhan (38) of Ganesh Nagar, Yerawada and Babaji alias Pintya Maharaj alias Anil Haribhau Thakre (35) of Nashik. Chouhan is a native of Uttar Pradesh.
Govind Kamlakar Kulkarni (35), a resident of Gulabrao Park in Navi Sangvi lodged the cheating complaint at Yerawada police station.
Police said the suspects approached Kulkarni in April 2012. One of them, Chouhan, told Kulkarni that Thakre alias Babaji can double money through witchcraft and took Rs 5 lakh from him. Around 1 am on April 17, 2012, Chouhan, Thakre and Kulkarni along with his friends Mahesh Devde, Kiran Raskar and Sikander left for Malgaon in Nashik district in a van.
Around 8.30 pm, the suspects took Kulkarni and his friends in bushes and scared them by saying that the area is haunted and can pose a danger to life.
The suspects then fled with the cash.
Police arrested the suspects on Wednesday and produced them in court on Thursday.
- Supreme Court has rightly upheld criminal defamation law
- India’s democratic success is due to the EC, and the triumph of trust over cynicism
- President’s Rule must be abolished. Uttarakhand developments show why
- What President Pranab Mukherjee must say to Beijing
- Tony Cozier loved Caribbean cricket, brought the game alive for millions
- Chabahar test: An opportunity to India?