Two commit suicide in Birbhum
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A, says it violates right to speech
- Pakistan Day: PM greets, MoS VK Singh tweets #disgust
- DK Ravi's death: Govt calls in CBI, tells court he had a ‘relationship’ with batchmate
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed says will take Army into confidence on AFSPA
- 1987 Hashimpura massacre: The photographs that stand witness
Two students of BA second year committed suicide by consuming pesticide Monday night. The incident took place at Rampurhat in Birbhum. The two women, Ankita Prasad and Mita Pal, both aged around 21, were found in an alley at Bajarpara area in Rampurhat.
Students of the same college in Rampurhat, Ankita and Mita were fast friends and lived in the vicinity, although in different wards. Narayan Pal, a family member of Mita, said, "Mita went to an astrologer yesterday with her grandfather and after she returned, she said she was going to Ankita's place."
"When she didn't come back till 8.30 and her phone was found to be switched off, we went to Ankita's place and found that she was not there as well," he said.
A search was started and at 10 pm the two were found unconscious in an alley near Mita's place. While Mita had died, Ankita was still alive and was rushed to a hospital where she died around 11.30. No police complaint has been filed, but police have started inquiring into the matter.