Two days after Payal’s murder after being stabbed by boyfriend, mother in denial mode
- PM Narendra Modi visits Pathankot air force base
- US wants Pakistan to act fast against Pathankot attack perpetrators
- Aamir Khan is a traitor, says BJP MP Manoj Tiwari at House panel meet
- Probing Pathankot attack: How wires got crossed in Delhi
- After terror attacks in Punjab, Army uniforms once sold openly now disappear
Mother collapses at the prayer meeting held for management student stabbed to death by boyfriend
Praveena Balsara entered Hiravati Hall in Santacruz West on Thursday evening to be greeted by her smiling daughter, frozen in 10-foot-tall picture. Praveena swayed and collapsed, and relatives gathered at the prayer meeting held for Payal rushed to her, fearing the worst. Praveena was rushed to her brother Raju Tailor's home in Kalina, where she came to and is now resting.
Payal (21), a final year Bachelor of Management Studies student in Bandra's Chetna College was murdered, stabbed by her former boyfriend. After battling for life for three days, Payal succumbed to injuries on Tuesday.
On Thursday, her mother was still in denial mode. "She still hasn't accepted that Payal is dead. She keeps telling us to call her cellphone and the college and find where she is. She has been holding on to Payal's clothes and refuses to let go," said Raju.
"At the hall, she was overwhelmed with grief. We were afraid at the time and took her home but she is still in very bad health. Payal's death has hit her very hard," Raju said.
According to the family, Payal had briefly dated classmate Nikhil Banker but had broken off with him after they objected. Nikhil was unable to stomach it, began to harass her. Payal had submitted a written complaint to the college authorities as well as the police. The college had spoken to Banker's parents and closed the matter by directing him to submit a written application that he would stay away from her. However, in a frenzied and unprovoked attack on Saturday, Nikhil stabbed her several times in the college corridor in the presence of other students before stabbing himself.
Both were rushed to Guru Nanak Hospital in Bandra east where an emergency operation was performed on Payal. Nikhil succumbed to his injuries.
- New Year Postcard-8: Where’s the Varanasi PM Modi promised?
- Pathankot: If Indian and Pak leaders pass this test, they can go much further
- Syed Babar Ali is a self-effacing empire-builder
- Tashkent Declaration brought an inconclusive war to an inconclusive end
- The man in the black robe
- Across the Aisle: Price of procrastination