Two held for betting on Championís Trophy, three absconding
- Gujjars intensify agitation for job quota, block Delhi-Mumbai rail track
- Video: Mumbai graduate denied job for being Muslim, Minorities Commission seeks explanation from company
- Geelani's 'incomplete' passport application cannot be processed: MEA
- Manish Sisodia launches counter-attack, says AAP govt trying to stop officers' transfer-posting industry
- 'You are the apple of my eye': Osama bin Laden's son's letter to wife
The Ludhiana police on Friday night arrested two people, who were allegedly caught betting on the Champion's Trophy match between Pakistan and West Indies.
While the police managed to arrest two bookies from New Shivpuri area, three fled the spot. The two were remanded in five-day custody by the court on Saturday.
While Pawan Kumar alias Sunny of Mochpura area and Antarpreet Singh of Nava Mohalla of Ludhiana have been arrested, Nishant alias Honey of New Shivpuri, Sanjay alias Chidi of Daresi Road and an unidentified person are absconding.
A case under various sections of the Gambling Act has been registered against them at the Salem Tabri Police Station. The police also recovered a laptop, 16 cellphones, diaries, calculator and television set from the possession of the accused.
J Elanchezhian, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Ludhiana north, said, "The accused were arrested during a raid that was conducted at a home in New Shivpuri area, which belonged to Honey, who is one of the accused".
Inspector Dharampal who led the raid said, "The accused were caught placing bets. Further interrogation is expected to reveal more information".