Two held for killing 56-year-old woman
- Rail Budget 2015: No hike in passenger fares, Prabhu promises modern rail network
- Rail Budget: Ally Shiv Sena not satisfied, but Mulayam says Prabhu has done a 'good job'
- Rail Budget futuristic and passenger centric: PM Modi
- PDP, BJP thrash out differences; all clear for Mufti-Modi meeting tomorrow
- Hummer horror: Senior policeman suspended for secretly meeting Kerala businessman
The Versova police on Thursday arrested two persons in connection with the alleged murder of a 56-year-old woman at her Versova flat. Police said robbery was the motive behind the murder.
Vishal Tak, the garbage collector at the building where the victim, Sabatina Fernandez, resided with her husband Victor, and Shivkamal alias Bablu, the watchman of the building were arrested while two of their accomplices have been detained, police said.
Police were also trying to recover the 10 tolas of gold jewellery the duo allegedly robbed, an officer said.
Victor (59) had told the police on Wednesday that he and his wife had been staying alone on the seventh floor of the building for the past three years. He had gone out to buy vegetables and take a doctor's appointment for his wife when the incident took place, police said. When he returned, he found Sabatina's body near the lift outside their flat.
Police said Tak was aware that Sabatina was alone at home, and rang her doorbell with the intention of robbing her. Seeing the garbage collector, Sabatina opened the door and was about to keep the dustbin outside when Tak allegedly attacked her with a knife on her neck and fled after snatching the gold chain, earrings and bangles she was wearing. Shivkamal allegedly helped Tak in the crime, but his role is being ascertained further, police said.
The duo has been remanded in police custody till December 6.