Two held for murder of former roadways mechanic
- Highest earners in 75% rural households earned below Rs 5K: SECC
- Ex-RAW chief's revelation: Congress seeks PM's apology for Gujarat riots
- Hema Malini's car accident: Victim's family upset with BJP MP
- Kandahar operation: BJP dismisses ex-RAW chief's claims of 'goof-up'
- Gujarat HC dismisses petition against PM Narendra Modi for filing defective affidavit
The Jalandhar Commissionerate police on Friday arrested two persons for the murder of Chaman Lal, a 62-year-old former head mechanic of Punjab Roadways, who went missing on January 18.
Three days after his went missing, the police recovered a body from near the Jamsher dairy complex, following which, a case under Sections 302 and 201 of the IPC was registered against unidentified persons.
The accused have been identified as Asha Rani, a resident of Model House and her live-in paramour Amit Kumar from Baba Deep Singh Nagar. Both married, Asha and Amit have have two children each. "Call details of the deceased's cellphone helped us solve the case," ADCP (City II) Paramjit Singh Bhandal said.
During interrogation, Asha Rani said she became involved with Chaman Lal three to four months ago. However, sometime ago, Chaman Lal expressed his desire to marry her younger daughter.
Following this, Asha Rani hatched a plan with Amit to kill Chaman Lal. On January 18, she called Chaman Lal to her place and offered him a coffee laced with sleeping pills. When he fell unconscious, the accused took him to the Pholriwal-Jamsher link road where he was strangled.
Before killing him, Asha and Amit removed a gold chain, rings and other valuables from his body.