Two held in credit card fraud case
- Delhi High Court raps MCD for strike, says common people are suffering
- Delhi air will never be safe because of its geographical disadvantage: Panel tells High Court
- Tanzanian student targeted because she was black, says envoy
- Supreme Court tells BCCI: Fall in line, Lodha panel report deserves respect
- Adarsh scam: CBI gets Maha Governor's nod to prosecute Ashok Chavan
The Kolkata Police arrested two persons on Thursday in a credit card fraud case after it took suo motu action against agencies giving out cash loans in lieu of credit cards.
"We noticed that for the last few months agencies were printing advertisements in dailies luring people to take cash loan in lieu of credit cards. We decided to take up the matter suo motu," said Deputy Commissioner, Detective Department, Jawed Shamim.
He said it was completely illegal to give cash loans in lieu of credit cards and such agencies should be brought to the notice of the Kolkata Police.
"The agency would take a cut money on the loan and then give interest free loan for 45 days," said the police. If the person cannot pay the whole amount the agency would charge a 4-5 per cent interest over and above the bank interest rate. This is how people would be lured into a debt trap.
On Wednesday night, the police filed suo motu complaint in the name of N K Roy, a sub-inspector of the bank fraud department. Two officers posing as customers went to La Do Ra Do office in Chatterjee International. "They conducted a raid and Md Nasiruddin, the proprieter, and his assistant Chinmoy Debnath were arrested," said Shamim. The raid revealed that the office had 7-8 EDC machines and thousands of chargeslips of false transactions along with two registers with details of transactions.
"We are also concerned over how they acquired so many EDC machines as banks go through a series of checks before giving the machines to merchants," said an official of the bank fraud department. The two have been remanded in police custody till April 8. Criminals held
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2