Two ideas of India
- Elections 2014 LIVE: In Rae Bareli, Priyanka Gandhi says her husband Robert Vadra is being maligned
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- IPL spot fixing: Do you want to probe charges against Srinivasan? SC asks Justice Mudgal panel
- Centre calls off trip over China no to Arunachal youth
- Hate speeches: Modi says petty statements by 'BJP well wishers deviating poll campaign'
The campaign to malign Modi is so powerful that it is possible that he may never become prime minister. So let us at least hope that the next general election throws up a leader who can commit to moving India towards an idea of development that involves the active participation of the people. The old idea of the beneficent welfare state is now definitely defunct. And, if it is not, then it should be because it is founded on the principle that there must always be poverty to 'alleviate'.
Follow Tavleen Singh on Twitter @ tavleen_singh
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready