Two lynched in Bareilly
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
Locals lynched to death two thieves in Shahi area of Bareilly district on Saturday early morning.
The police said, in the wee hours of Saturday, three thieves entered the house of one Kunwar Sen in Retipur village. They were about to take away cattle belonging to Kunwar when he woke up hearing the noise. He immediately raised voice and alerted his neighbours. The villagers chased the thieves and managed to catch hold of two of them.
They beat the duo with sticks killing them on the spot. The police came to know about the incident in the morning and rushed to the village. They found both the bodies lying in a field. A hunt is on to trace another thief. The police said one of the deceased has been identified as Narayan of Dasanvarpur village. The identity of the other deceased is yet to be ascertained.
Station Officer of Shahi police station, R P Singh said Narayan had eight criminal cases pending against him, adding that the person who escaped is Bhura, who had 20 criminal cases against him.
No FIR has been lodged in connection with the deaths of the thieves, Singh said.