Two of a kind
- Tanzanian student was not stripped, paraded naked: K'taka Home Minister
- National Herald case: Sonia, Rahul Gandhi move SC challenging Delhi HC order
- Budget session of Parliament to begin on Feb 23; Jaitley hopeful of GST
- Suspended UP chief engineer Yadav Singh arrested, Congress, BJP say probe links
- Will stand by Pakistan if it acts on terror: Rajnath Singh
Though rumours of them being not being on the best of terms make rounds at the Writers' Buildings, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, the other day, made it clear that chief secretary Sanjay Mitra enjoys her total confidence. At the centenary celebrations of Dainik Basumati, the CM said that Mitra had the same positive mindset that she had. It was a remark that has sent just the right signals to the state administration, observers said.
The state BJP is in a turmoil with a section of the party clamouring for removal of the state president Rahul Sinha whom they accuse of inertia. They cite the results of the recently concluded panchayat elections, where the party cut a sorry figure losing many seats it earlier held. Many now want former union minister and former party president Tapan Sikder to take over the reins of the party, but the man himself is not willing given the poor state of his health. Now the rebels may raise the matter before party general secretary Varun Gandhi who will be visiting the state Monday.
Too many questions
A pall of gloom has descended over the Writers' Buildings ever since Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced shifting of the state secretariat to HRBC building at Howrah. While babus have started looking into the bus services from their respective areas to the new building, the ministers are wondering which departments will return to the renovated Writers'. The media is also apprehensive whether curbs will be imposed on its movement in the new building. Employee unions too wondering whether they will be given any room in the new building.
- Modi’s Idea of India
- Rohith’s despair speaks of the collective failure of the teaching community
- Mehbooba Mufti has held out CBMs for the BJP-PDP coalition
- What if we cannot poke a little innocent fun at one another
- Outcome on Section 377 will depend on composition of the Constitution bench
- Inadequate staff, payment delays undermine MGNREGA in drought-hit Mahabubnagar