Two women from Kerala fall in boiling water in Ajmer dargah

Ajmer Dargah

A girl and her mother, both belonging to Kerala, were today critically injured when they fell into boiling water in a cauldron, known as 'deg', in Ajmer dargah here, police said.

"Sarina (23) and her mother Sulfat (58) fell into the 'deg' which is around 7-8 ft deep. Preparations for cooking rice was going on and water was boiling when the incident occurred," police officer Bhawani Singh said.

"Both received critical burn injuries and were rushed to JLN government hospital where their condition is stated to be serious," he said.

He said it was not immediately clear whether they fell accidentally or jumped into it.

A big and a small 'deg' are installed in the Dargah for cooking of 'Niaz' (vegetarian food prepared with rice, ghee, sugar, nuts, saffron) by pilgrims and the women fell into the small 'deg' which has a cooking capacity of 2,400 kg.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.