UGC seeks campus security
- EC issues show cause notice to Mulayam Singh Yadav for violation of poll code
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: KXIP chase 206, beat CSK by six wickets
The vice-chairman of University Grants Commission has asked all vice-chancellors and directors of institutes of higher education across the country to review security arrangements for women on university campuses and around girls' hostels. In a letter written to all the heads of institutes on January 1, Professor Ved Prakash has said that "some current happenings in the national capital and at other states" have necessitated a review of "efforts towards providing the women increased security and protection on our university campuses."
1 held for 'setting' girl on fire'
Lucknow: Hathras police on Wednesday arrested a man who allegedly set a 17-year-old girl on fire in Sasnigate for spurning his advances on Monday. The girl, who suffered 90 per cent burns, was battling for life at the medical college in Aligarh. The man was produced in court which sent him to jail. Hathras Superintendent of Police Happy Guptan said the accused, Arjun, claimed he was innocent.
Man held for 'raping' 20-yr-old
Lucknow: Moradabad police on Wednesday arrested a 20-year-old for allegedly raping a deaf and dumb girl. The medical examination of the girl has been conducted and the report is awaited. Station Officer of Kanth Shishu Pal Sharma said the girl's mother said the youth, Deepak, had been abusing her daughter for the past one year, following which she had become pregnant. Deepak will be produced in court on Thursday.
Cops foil bid to 'kidnap' teen girl
Lucknow: Three car-borne youths made an attempt to kidnap a 17-year-old girl from outside City Mall in Cantonment police station area of Gorakhpur district on Tuesday night. The girl, who was in a semi-unconscious state, was rescued by the police within a few minutes and the accused were arrested. Gorakhpur Additional SP (ASP) City Paresh Kumar Pandey said that one of the accused Meraj Khan who is known to the 17-year-old had dragged her forcibly into his car when she was waiting for her cousin outside City Mall around 9.45 pm yesterday. While Meraj left the place with the girl, a passerby informed the control room about the incident and the vehicle's number. Two constables on patrolling duty chased the car and intercepted it near Police Lines. The police rescued the girl and caught two of the youths Ashutosh Verma of Shahpur area and Mayank Srivastava of Cantonment from the vehicle. Meraj managed to escape from the spot, but was arrested later in the night. The girl was semi-unconscious as the accused had covered her face.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer