Ugly scene witnessed on Law Day in SC premises
- Supreme Court stays release of Rajiv Gandhi killers after Centre opposes Jayalalithaa's decision
- Rajiv Gandhi assassination case forces adjournment of Parliament
- Facebook to acquire WhatsApp for USD 19 billion in cash and stock deal
- Congâs first casualty of Telangana Bill: Its govt and Chief Minister in Andhra
- Hazare snubs Kejriwal, declares support to Mamata in LS elections
Law Day celebrations in the Supreme Court on Monday turned ugly with two factions of the Bar Association entered into a verbal duel in the presence of Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir, Law Minister Ashwani Kumar and the other judges.
No sooner the dignitaries and lawyers assembled in the Supreme Court lawns for the function, SCBA President and senior advocate P H Parekh and suspended SCBA Secretary K C Kaushik entered into heated arguments over who will be in charge of the function.
While Kaushik wanted to preside as the Secretary of SCBA (Supreme Court Bar Association), Parekh opposed him saying he was not authorised to conduct the programme as he was suspended.
While both of them were engaged in heated exchange of words along with their supporters, the dignitaries including the CJI and the Law Minister, left the venue and returned only after Attorney General G E Vahanvati intervened and took over the proceedings. The function then went off smoothly.
Members of the bar congratulated the AG for his intervention which saved the day, which is celebrated every year on November 26.
- LS polls: Cong playing wait-and-watch game in dozen-plus seats in state
- ‘Rs 2.3 cr spent on bungalow for former Prez, but that’s no loss to exchequer’
- 9 illegal immigrants working on Army premises nabbed
- BJP’s Saurashtra unit split wide open over former minister’s snub
- Modi: Happy that my speeches contribute to nation’s coffers
- The regressive state