Ugly scene witnessed on Law Day in SC premises
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
Law Day celebrations in the Supreme Court on Monday turned ugly with two factions of the Bar Association entered into a verbal duel in the presence of Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir, Law Minister Ashwani Kumar and the other judges.
No sooner the dignitaries and lawyers assembled in the Supreme Court lawns for the function, SCBA President and senior advocate P H Parekh and suspended SCBA Secretary K C Kaushik entered into heated arguments over who will be in charge of the function.
While Kaushik wanted to preside as the Secretary of SCBA (Supreme Court Bar Association), Parekh opposed him saying he was not authorised to conduct the programme as he was suspended.
While both of them were engaged in heated exchange of words along with their supporters, the dignitaries including the CJI and the Law Minister, left the venue and returned only after Attorney General G E Vahanvati intervened and took over the proceedings. The function then went off smoothly.
Members of the bar congratulated the AG for his intervention which saved the day, which is celebrated every year on November 26.