Ugly turn to gurudwara politics, rivals clash
- 20 jawans feared dead as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Missing Malaysia airline: Man travelling on stolen passport identified as Iranian
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
At least eight in hospital after DSGMC and SAD (Badal) groups attack each other
A clash between rival factions at Gurudwara Rakabganj left eight persons injured on Thursday. Members of Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee (DSGMC) and Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal) accused each other of starting the clash, in which four members from each group were injured.
Police were called at 11.15 am, with the SAD (Badal) leader Manjeet Singh claiming that he was not allowed to attend a meeting of the executive members of the committee. He accused DSGMC members, headed by Paramjit Singh Sarna, of planning the attack.
Sarna , on the other hand, claimed Singh's supporters opened fire, forcing DSGMC members to take retaliatory action. Police denied the claims of firing and said gurudwara property was vandalised.
"Singh and 15 to 20 of his supporters went to the gurudwara to attend the executive body meeting. Only Singh is an elected member, so entry was denied to his supporters. This led to an argument, following which a scuffle ensued. Singh's men joined the scuffle and Sarna's group attacked them with swords and sticks. The situation was brought under control soon after police were called. Reinforcements were deputed to control the situation," a senior police officer said.
Supporters of Singh's group said he was denied entry on the ground that it was a meeting of the executive members, and he was not one. Singh, however, was carrying a letter, authorised by DSGMC general secretary Gurmeet Singh Shunty, stating that Singh was a "special invitee" to the meeting, a supporter said. They said Singh was stopped by security guards.
Singh said: "This was a trap and they (Sarna's men) knew I was coming. They had planned the entire incident. When we were entering, Sarna called his men. They didn't want to let us in. Sarna's men are ruining the system."
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express