Under special scheme, MSU to appoint retired professors
- Congress says Togadia spreading venom; EC seeks recording of alleged hate speech
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police, agrees to hear Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs DD: CSK win toss, elect to bat first
The MSU has decided to avail the expertise and experience of teachers who have recently retired from the university through a scheme of appointing them back as "distinguished professors," both in order to improve its research profile as well as fill in the gap left by them post retirement. The scheme will be applicable to only those who were working on research projects and had to forgo them post retirement.
Such a scheme exists in universities like Banaras Hindu University, Pune University and University of Mysore, MSU officials said. The retirement age at MSU, like all other state universities, is 62 years. At the central universities, it is 65 years, which is extendable to 70 years. Hence, teachers retiring from MSU, who have certain research projects to complete, face difficulties in continuing with their academic engagements after retirement.
"The scheme is applicable to only those professors who are already working on research projects and have to leave them mid-way due to retirement. They become inactive once they are out of the system, because after retirement, they are not in a position to apply to funding agencies for their project through the university," MSU registrar Amit Dholakia said. The scheme will also help improve academic activity of the university as these professors can take classes as visiting faculties. Such teaching members will be given a tenure of three years which can be increased by two more years. No professor can continue to work as distinguished professor after the age of 70 years, Dholakia said.
An MSU scholar desiring to be appointed as a distinguished professor will be required to have a decent Academic Performance Indicators (API) score. In addition, such scholars must have produced at least 10 PhD students and should have "H" index, an internationally recognised index that measures the productivity and impact of the publications of scientists and scholars. The minimum "H" index requirement in science and technology disciplines is 10.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota