Underage marriage among Muslims in Kerala ignites debate
- First Germany, now UK objects to India ‘breach’ of secret bank data
- Rahul to meet farmers today in first public appearance since return
- Need to give foreign visit details in tax returns
- Told by HC to give birth, rape victim pushed to corner
- Masarat Alam back in jail for 'sedition', BJP says we got it done
Calicut University in Muslim-dominated Malappuram district recently introduced maternity leave for MCA students. Pregnancy had earlier forced many brilliant students to take supplementary exams, performance in which is not counted when deciding ranks. The university plans to extend this to other professional courses.
Mundupara says educated girls are struggling to find grooms. "The number of Muslim girls opting for higher education is higher than that of boys, who still go to the Middle East to work," says Mundupara, also general secretary of a Sunni youth organisation. "Many highly qualified Muslim girls have to wait for a suitable proposal."