Underage marriage among Muslims in Kerala ignites debate
- Malaysian airlines might have disintegrated mid-air
- Out of the 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by Modi: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress
- Varanasi seat row: RSS worried but believes BJP will solve it
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
Calicut University in Muslim-dominated Malappuram district recently introduced maternity leave for MCA students. Pregnancy had earlier forced many brilliant students to take supplementary exams, performance in which is not counted when deciding ranks. The university plans to extend this to other professional courses.
Mundupara says educated girls are struggling to find grooms. "The number of Muslim girls opting for higher education is higher than that of boys, who still go to the Middle East to work," says Mundupara, also general secretary of a Sunni youth organisation. "Many highly qualified Muslim girls have to wait for a suitable proposal."