Undertrial dies in prison, cops await medical report
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A, says it violates right to speech
- Pakistan Day: PM greets, MoS VK Singh tweets #disgust
- DK Ravi's death: Govt calls in CBI, tells court he had a ‘relationship’ with batchmate
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed says will take Army into confidence on AFSPA
- 1987 Hashimpura massacre: The photographs that stand witness
Rajbir Singh Bhullar, an undertrial and the prime accused in the murder case of NRI Gurinder Singh, died at the Gurdaspur jail on Wednesday after complaining of health problems. A Canadian resident, Gurinder Singh was shot dead at the Batala courts complex in September 2011 when he had come to appear in a case.
Bhullar, a BJP councillor from Batala at that time was among those named for the murder. Gurdaspur Deputy Commissioner Abhinav Trikha said as per standard procedure in such type of cases, an inquest by Judicial Magistrate has been marked.
Gurdaspur Superintendent of Police (jail) Surinder Singh Saini said only the medical reports would help ascertain the cause of death. "His colleagues said that he complained of shortness of breath. We immediately transferred him to civil hospital where he was declared dead," said Saini. "He had undergone treatment for abdominal pain in October, November and December. Also, he used to use inhaler for the Asthma like ailment," Saini added.