UP DGP seeks death penalty in cases of murder after rape
- Dadri: Outrage after mob lynches man for allegedly consuming beef
- At United Nations, Pak PM Sharif plays his old tune on Kashmir
- 2006 Mumbai train blasts: Death sentence for 5 convicts, life for 7
- Modi's foreign visits need to be backed up with action on ground: Rajan
- Diesel rates up by 50 paise from midnight tonight, no change in petrol price
Uttar Pradesh Director General of Police Ambrish Chandra Sharma today suggested that murder after rape cases should be considered as rarest of the rare and sought death penalty for such culprits.
In a letter to the state government, Sharma said, this provision will also ensure fear of police among those involved in such acts.
"I have written a letter to the state government asking it to take up the matter with Centre to ensure provisions of death penalty in cases of murder after rape", Sharma said.
In the letter, the DGP also said that those who indulged in eve-teasing or other forms of sexual harassment must be imprisoned immediately and strict action should be taken against them.