UP DGP seeks death penalty in cases of murder after rape
Uttar Pradesh Director General of Police Ambrish Chandra Sharma today suggested that murder after rape cases should be considered as rarest of the rare and sought death penalty for such culprits.
In a letter to the state government, Sharma said, this provision will also ensure fear of police among those involved in such acts.
"I have written a letter to the state government asking it to take up the matter with Centre to ensure provisions of death penalty in cases of murder after rape", Sharma said.
In the letter, the DGP also said that those who indulged in eve-teasing or other forms of sexual harassment must be imprisoned immediately and strict action should be taken against them.
The DGP's remarks came after widespread protest over the gang-rape of a young woman in a moving bus in Delhi on December 16. The girl is currently battling for her life at a Singapore hospital.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS: Sonia Gandhi | The Indian Express
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh’s book embarrasses PM; ‘Singh had little political authority’
- How can Modi honour women if he can’t mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Rahul Gandhi insulting Ambedkar by taking credit for laws: Narendra Modi