UP: Dogs kill 31 blackbuck in zoo, director suspended
- National Anthem must be played before movies in theaters, rules Supreme Court
- Parliament LIVE: Lok Sabha adjourned for the day after opposition uproar over demonetisation
- Nagrota attack: Intelligence warned of imminent attack, spotlight now on poor security at camps
- RBI restricts withdrawal limits on Jan Dhan accounts to Rs 10,000; cites 'farmer protection'
- Chilled by demonetisation, India to take cold comfort from strong GDP
As many as 31 endangered blackbuck were found killed by stray dogs inside the Kanpur zoo on Sunday morning. The dogs attacked the blackbuck on Saturday night after entering the zoo from where the boundary is broken.
Two dogs were found eating the carcasses inside the zoo on Sunday morning by the forest guards during the routine morning inspection. Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife) Rupak De said the guards killed both the dogs immediately. Another dog that was found roaming inside the zoo area was also killed, he said.
De said the dogs seemed to have entered the zoo from the area where the boundary wall was damaged. He said the wall was being repaired and the guards used to tie wires across the open area after the construction work got over in the evening to stop anyone from entering. However, they did not tie the fence wires last evening, he said.
Following the incident, De conducted an inquiry and submitted the report to Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, who is also the Minister for Forests. Yadav suspended director of the Kanpur zoo K Praveen Rao, forester J P Awashthi, forest guards Nathuram Dwivedi and Udaibhan, keeper Parshuram and watchman Shera for dereliction in performing their duties.
- Qamar Javed Bajwa’s challenge: To turn Pak army into a less-publicity driven
- Delhi should fill in the leadership void if the US pulls out of climate negotiations
- Biomethanation offers a major solution for processing biodegradable waste
- Reddy wedding has underlined the privatisation of the public in Karnataka
- Demonetisation is aimed at a behavioural change necessary for building a new India
- Criminals, like those who escaped Nabha jail, are exploiting religious symbols