UP first to buy buses under JNNURM
- Congress says Togadia spreading venom; EC seeks recording of alleged hate speech
- Akhilesh Yadav tears into Narendra Modi bastion on maiden visit to Gujarat, says third front ready to govern
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs DD: CSK register comprehensive victory over hapless DD
The Uttar Pradesh Government claims it has become the first to finalise the purchase of buses for the basic transport service in seven cities under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) after it struck a deal for 1,310 buses on Thursday.
While 300 buses each have been allocated for Lucknow and Kanpur, 200 buses will go to Allahabad, Varanasi and Agra, 150 to Meerut and 60 to Mathura. Navneet Sehgal, Secretary to the CM, said the lot would consist of AC low-floor, non-AC low-floor, semi-low floor and mini-buses, most of them to be purchased from Tata Motors.
JNNURM is the flagship programme of the Government of India for improving urban infrastructure.