UP may drop cases against accused in 4 terror attacks
- Malaysian plane crashes off Vietnam coast; 5 Indians on board
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
The Akhilesh Yadav government is examining the possibility of withdrawing cases against the accused named in four terror strikes in Uttar Pradesh, namely the serial blasts in Varanasi in 2006, the court blasts of 2007, the Gorakhpur blasts in 2007 and the attack on the CRPF camp in Rampur on New Year's eve in 2008.
While the Law Department has already received reports from district officials in case of the court blasts, Gorakhpur blasts and the attack on the CRPF camp in Rampur, the report from Varanasi is awaited. These reports contain details of the cases, their status, and opinions of the district magistrates, SPs and prosecution officers on whether the cases could be withdrawn in public interest.
Except in case of Gorakhpur blasts, the trial is currently on in all other cases.
Sources said a meeting of top officials of the Secretariat, Law Department, Home Department, the DGP Headquarters and prosecution is likely after Diwali to take a decision in these cases.
During the election campaign, the Samajwadi Party had promised to withdraw "false terror cases" lodged against Muslim youths.
In case of the three blasts in Varanasi on March 7, 2006, leading to the death of 21, an alleged operative of Harkat-ul-Jihad-e-Islami (HuJI) had been arrested. Another accused is absconding while a third suspect is yet to be identified. In the attack on the CRPF camp at Rampur, seven CRPF men and a rickshaw puller had been killed. The accused included two Pakistani nationals and five Indians. The Special Task Force that arrested them said they all were LeT operatives.
The serial court blasts had taken place in the local courts of Lucknow, Barabanki and Faizabad on November 23, 2007. While the blast in Lucknow had not caused much damage, five persons had died in Faizabad and nine in Varanasi. Two alleged HuJI operatives were accused in the Lucknow and Faizabad court blast cases.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today