UP minister Rajram Pandey sparks controversy, praises 'beauty' of DM
- As a public figure, you must learn to face criticism: SC tells Jayalalithaa in defamation case
- Rajnath Singh: Those who believe in Kashmiriyat, Insaniyat & Jamhooriyat welcome for talks
- Rohith Vemula was not a Dalit, says probe panel set up by HRD Ministry
- Scorpene Submarine: Will probe leak, says DCNS; source not from India, says Defence Ministry
- Saradha scam: ED summons Chidambaram's wife Nalini
UP minister for Khadi and Gramodyog Rajram Pandey has landed in a controversy by praising the "beauty" of a senior lady bureaucrat at an official function in Sultanpur, a move which has drawn the ire of Samajwadi Party leaders.
On Monday, Pandey, after distributing cheques to unemployed youths at the Kamla Nehru Institute of Technology in Sultanpur, suddenly went off track praising the beauty of DM, K Dhanlakshmi, who was also present there.
Pandey said, he was lucky the district also had a lady District Magistrate, referring to the last time when Kamini Chauhan was the DM.
"Mujhe lagta tha ki unse sunder mahila DM nahi ho sakti, par is baar jab main prabhari manrti hoon to (current) DM unse bhi adhik sunder hain," he said. (I used to think that no other woman DM could be beautiful, but this time when I became in-charge of the district I found that this DM is even more beautiful).
The minister also termed her as "very soft spoken and competent administrator".
Though the comment was lauded by the audience which was dominated by Samajwadi Party workers, the DM looked extremely uncomfortable.
Meanwhile, a section of SP workers have taken the comment as indecent and sought a public apology from him.
- Tension between the executive and judiciary could play out in creative, or destructive, ways
- Mental Health Bill tries to address complex issues, but it’s a work in progress
- Modi’s recent statements could help end the troubled region’s long international isolation
- Divya Spandana: Pakistan is no hell, I stand by my remarks
- The freedom from unreason
- Cow protection, paradoxically, poses a threat to the BJP’s project of Hindu unity