UP ministerís 18-yr-old son dies in accident
- Independence Day Narendra Modi speech LIVE: PM addresses price rise to progress
- Narendra Modi speech Independence Day 2016: Transparency seems to be highlight, says processes simplified
- CRPF officer killed as militants attack police station in Srinagar
- Rio Olympics 2016: Dipa Karmakar's Produnova does India proud
- Narendra Modi’s Independence Day speech packs a few subtle hints after the hard messages
The vehicle, a Tata Safari, which belonged to the minister, was badly smashed in the accident. Upendra, a student of class XII, died on the spot.
The police said the incident occurred due to rash driving. They also suspect Upendra was talking on the cellphone while driving. It is not clear where he was going.
Sub-Inspector Parush Ram Ojha of the Udyan police outpost, who was the first person to reach the spot on getting information from the police control room, said the body was flung out of the vehicle due to the impact.
She sent Brij Kishore Singh, the minister's brother, to bring him back. She also called up Upendra and asked him to come back, but he did not. By the time Brij Kishore reached the spot, it was all over.
As the news of the incident spread, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and several ministers visited Singh's residence to console the family.
None in the family was in a condition to talk about why Upendra left home and where he was going.
He said the SUV, which was being driven at high speed, hit the parapet on both sides of the road several times and an electrical pole as it hurtled down the road before stopping in mangled pieces.
Ojha said that, to begin with, there were two more persons in the vehicle, but Upendra reportedly asked them to get down and took over the steering. A short distance later, the tragedy ocurred. The two men informed the family which, in turn, informed the police control room, said Ojha.
Nitya Nand Rai, Circle Officer of Gomti Nagar, said the boy was rushed to a hospital where doctors declared him brought dead. Upendra was the minister's younger son. The body was taken to the minister's native place in Basti for cremation.
- Indians are more free than when the British left, but less free than what the framers of our Constitution hoped us to be.
- Gujarat Dalits’ move to quit ‘menial jobs’ in protest has a precedent in UP
- Ravana in Uttar Pradesh: Nayanjot Lahiri
- PM Modi needs to move from slogans to action to transform agriculture
- Nepal: The politician-activist-donor nexus dominates the appointment of judges
- To his successor, and to the PM and the government, Dr Rajan has left valuable messages