UP ministerís 18-yr-old son dies in accident
- Elections 2014 LIVE: 60 pc voting in Bengal till 1 pm; Jaitley slams Rahul over 'ullu' barb
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- Is there a vikas vote? Healthier babies make not a whimper on campaign pitch in Hazaribagh
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
The vehicle, a Tata Safari, which belonged to the minister, was badly smashed in the accident. Upendra, a student of class XII, died on the spot.
The police said the incident occurred due to rash driving. They also suspect Upendra was talking on the cellphone while driving. It is not clear where he was going.
Sub-Inspector Parush Ram Ojha of the Udyan police outpost, who was the first person to reach the spot on getting information from the police control room, said the body was flung out of the vehicle due to the impact.
She sent Brij Kishore Singh, the minister's brother, to bring him back. She also called up Upendra and asked him to come back, but he did not. By the time Brij Kishore reached the spot, it was all over.
As the news of the incident spread, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and several ministers visited Singh's residence to console the family.
None in the family was in a condition to talk about why Upendra left home and where he was going.
He said the SUV, which was being driven at high speed, hit the parapet on both sides of the road several times and an electrical pole as it hurtled down the road before stopping in mangled pieces.
Ojha said that, to begin with, there were two more persons in the vehicle, but Upendra reportedly asked them to get down and took over the steering. A short distance later, the tragedy ocurred. The two men informed the family which, in turn, informed the police control room, said Ojha.
Nitya Nand Rai, Circle Officer of Gomti Nagar, said the boy was rushed to a hospital where doctors declared him brought dead. Upendra was the minister's younger son. The body was taken to the minister's native place in Basti for cremation.
Sources at the minister's residence said that Upendra left home early in the morning, along with a driver and one more person. Later, he asked them to get down and headed towards Shaheed Path. The two called up his mother Suman, and informed that Upendra was driving the vehicle.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18