UP rapes: Another woman gangraped, set on fire
- Zero-tolerance towards communal violence, must act: Centre to states
- Varanasi: Violence breaks out during protest march, vehicles set ablaze
- Germany our natural partner, says Modi after meeting Merkel; 18 MoUs inked to boost trade
- Why the BJP finds itself in a spot before Gujarat local body polls
- Supreme Court suspends beef ban in Jammu & Kashmir for two months
A 35-year-old woman was allegedly gangraped and later set ablaze by three youths in Nidhauli area of the district, the third case of rape in Uttar Pradesh in the last two days.
The woman, a widow, was allegedly raped and set on fire by three youths belonging to an influential family in Sabhapur village when she was alone in her house along with her two minor children, police said.
Though no FIR had been lodged yet, Senior Superintendent of Police Laxmi Narain said that a written complaint has been lodged by the victim's brother-in-law Anil in this connection. However, station house officer of Nidhauli Narendra Pal Singh ruled out rape and murder and said the woman had committed suicide.
The victim's brother Virseh said, "Five persons first tried to strangulate my sister and then raped her. Since my sister recognised them, they doused her with kerosene and set her ablaze. When she was nearly dead, they left the spot."
This is the third rape case reported in the state in the last two days.
A dalit girl was stabbed in the eyes allegedly by two youths when she resisted a rape attempt in Kannauj on Saturday.
In another incident, an 18-year-old dalit girl was allegedly raped by a youth in Ranipur Beladi village in Basti. Satti Singh allegedly raped the girl at gun point on Saturday night.