UP to appoint 73,000 teachers
- Sushma Swaraj rubbishes Pakistan's 4-point peace formula at UN
- US shooting: 15 dead, 20 wounded at Oregon community college; shooter detained
- Day after Dadri lynching, VP Ansari says state has to ensure right to life
- Delhi: Man shoots self at Rajiv Chowk Metro station
- BJP MP compares Modi with Gandhi, Cong says 'sycophancy at its worst'
With an eye on the 2012 Assembly elections, the Uttar Pradesh government has decided to appoint 72,825 teachers in government primary schools across the state.
The appointment of such a large number of teachers is considered to be first serious effort on the state government's part to implement the Right To Education Act.
On Wednesday, the state cabinet cleared the proposal for the appointment of primary school teachers. It also cleared rules and regulations for the selection of such teachers. There are currently 1,99,571 vacancies of teachers in government primary schools. According to the decision, the eligibility criteria laid down in the UP Teachers Service Rules 1981 must be met for appointing the teachers who would be under the UP Basic Education Board. Besides, the appointments would be made as per the requirements mentioned in the notification issued by the National Council of Teachers Education (NCTE) on August 23, 2010.
Govt approves paddy purchase policy
* The Uttar Pradesh government on Wednesday approved paddy purchase policy for kharif year 2011-12 under price support scheme. As per the decision taken by the state Cabinet in its meeting chaired by Chief Minister Mayawati, while common grade paddy would be purchased at the rate of Rs 1,080 per quintal, grade A paddy would be purchased at a minimum support price of Rs 1,110 per quintal directly from the farmers. Paddy procurement would be done through purchase centres between October 1 to February 28 next year, an official spokesman said here. Keeping in mind the sowing area and productivity target of procuring 25 lakh MT paddy has been fixed in the year 2011-12 for which 3,000 centres would be set up.
Housing facility for economically weak