UP villagers rough up SDM
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Two convicts get death sentence, life imprisonment for one
- Ban pellet guns in Kashmir, Omar Abdullah-led delegation asks PM Modi
- PM Modi, Afghan President Ghani jointly inaugurate renovated Stor Palace
- AAP doesn't have money to fight election: Kejriwal
- Kicking off UP poll campaign, Mayawati slams BJP-RSS, SP, is soft on Congress
A group of villagers attacked a Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Badaun district alleging corruption in the construction of a road under the NREGA scheme in Zarif Nagar area on Friday evening. The SDM suffered bruises and his clothes were torn off in the incident.
The police have arrested a youth after registering a case under relevant sections.
The SDM B K Dohre said, "I had gone to supervise the construction of a road under the NREGA scheme at Chabutara village. A government task force team had visited the village recently and had issued certain instructions. The gram panchayat of the village is looking after the construction work. A youth, Satyawan Yadav, who was drunk, arrived there along with some villagers and started hurling expletives at me and the gram pradhan."
"The youth alleged irregularities in the work and also alleged that the pradhan was not following the norms while getting the work done. As I objected to youth's behaviour, he along with his aides attacked me and tore my clothes off," the SDM said. Police rushed to the spot and nabbed the youth while his associates fled the scene.
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon
- India’s new line that Pak will have to pay for cross-border terror was overdue
- Just how did Pakistan become so central to the definition of Indian patriotism?
- Why AAP needs to go back to school
- Next door Nepal: Detente in Kathmandu
- PM's Balochistan policy: Gameplan, gambit or gamble?