UP villagers rough up SDM
- Rajya Sabha: Hooda ‘rebellion’ in Haryana ensures defeat for Cong-backed lawyer R K Anand
- BJP's national executive meeting begins in UP; PM Modi, Amit Shah to strategise
- Coming soon: Clause in real estate bill to check bias against religion, sexual orientation, diet
- Drama in Ranchi: Missing MLAs, a winning formula
- Punjab: Two Pakistani intruders killed by BSF, arms, drugs recovered
A group of villagers attacked a Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Badaun district alleging corruption in the construction of a road under the NREGA scheme in Zarif Nagar area on Friday evening. The SDM suffered bruises and his clothes were torn off in the incident.
The police have arrested a youth after registering a case under relevant sections.
The SDM B K Dohre said, "I had gone to supervise the construction of a road under the NREGA scheme at Chabutara village. A government task force team had visited the village recently and had issued certain instructions. The gram panchayat of the village is looking after the construction work. A youth, Satyawan Yadav, who was drunk, arrived there along with some villagers and started hurling expletives at me and the gram pradhan."
"The youth alleged irregularities in the work and also alleged that the pradhan was not following the norms while getting the work done. As I objected to youth's behaviour, he along with his aides attacked me and tore my clothes off," the SDM said. Police rushed to the spot and nabbed the youth while his associates fled the scene.
- Analysts have made too much of a deal of the GDP growth in the fourth quarter
- The fight against malnutrition depends on more than economic growth
- Why India is one of the most harrowing places in the world to be a pedestrian
- Laws that accord secondary status to women need to be reformed
- I found the purpose that keeps me on my toes when I first walked into a boxing gym
- It's good that Rajan has cleared some of the mist and myth surrounding the GDP numbers