UP villagers rough up SDM
- NDA falls behind as campaign swings poll towards Nitish-Lalu: Lokniti CSDS pre-poll survey
- Govt hikes excise duty on petrol by Rs 1.6 per litre, diesel by 40 paisa
- Four Mi-25 attack helicopters for Afghanistan: India's bold move
- Pakistan is going to remain a problem for India: Western Army Commander
- Religious places of Muslims, Christians in Odisha should be under state regulating authority: RSS
A group of villagers attacked a Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Badaun district alleging corruption in the construction of a road under the NREGA scheme in Zarif Nagar area on Friday evening. The SDM suffered bruises and his clothes were torn off in the incident.
The police have arrested a youth after registering a case under relevant sections.
The SDM B K Dohre said, "I had gone to supervise the construction of a road under the NREGA scheme at Chabutara village. A government task force team had visited the village recently and had issued certain instructions. The gram panchayat of the village is looking after the construction work. A youth, Satyawan Yadav, who was drunk, arrived there along with some villagers and started hurling expletives at me and the gram pradhan."
"The youth alleged irregularities in the work and also alleged that the pradhan was not following the norms while getting the work done. As I objected to youth's behaviour, he along with his aides attacked me and tore my clothes off," the SDM said. Police rushed to the spot and nabbed the youth while his associates fled the scene.