UP villagers rough up SDM
- Black money: Switzerland begins naming Indians, foreigners for tax evasion
- J&K: JCO, 2 soldiers and 1 militant killed as army foils infiltration bid in Tangdhar sector
- Heatwave death toll crosses 500 in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana
- Kejriwal vs Jung: Mandate of people must be respected by Lt Governor, says Delhi High Court
- PM Modi presents 1 yr report card, says bad days for those who looted the country
A group of villagers attacked a Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Badaun district alleging corruption in the construction of a road under the NREGA scheme in Zarif Nagar area on Friday evening. The SDM suffered bruises and his clothes were torn off in the incident.
The police have arrested a youth after registering a case under relevant sections.
The SDM B K Dohre said, "I had gone to supervise the construction of a road under the NREGA scheme at Chabutara village. A government task force team had visited the village recently and had issued certain instructions. The gram panchayat of the village is looking after the construction work. A youth, Satyawan Yadav, who was drunk, arrived there along with some villagers and started hurling expletives at me and the gram pradhan."
"The youth alleged irregularities in the work and also alleged that the pradhan was not following the norms while getting the work done. As I objected to youth's behaviour, he along with his aides attacked me and tore my clothes off," the SDM said. Police rushed to the spot and nabbed the youth while his associates fled the scene.
SSP Budaun Prakash D said, "The accused had an altercation with the local pradhan earlier in the day before the SDM reached there. Satyawan had complained against the pradhan for not adhering to the norms while getting the road constructed."