Urban population in India jumps to 31%
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
The percentage of Indians living in urban areas has increased from 27.8 percent in 2001 to 31.16 percent in 2011.
This information was given in Rajya Sabha by Minister of state in the Urban Development minister Saugata Roy in response to a question.
Roy also gave details of changes in the urban population pattern in some other countries.
As per these details, the percentage of urban population had increased in Pakistan from 33.1 percent in 2001 to 36.2 percent in 2011. During the same period, the urban population of Sri Lanka had decreased from 15.7 percent to 15.1 percent.
In Bangladesh, the population living in urban areas had increased from 23.6 percent to 28.4 percent in the decade 2001-2011.