US beauty Olivia Culpo crowned Miss Universe
- A person killing people with Quran in his hand is not Muslim, but a terrorist: Aamir Khan at #RNGAwards
- Dubai shuts down part of metro's green line over large fire
- Oceans, cyberworld should not become new theatres of contests: PM Modi
- Financial transactions motive behind Sheena's murder, CBI tells court
- J&K: Army jawan, three terrorists killed in separate encounters
Olivia Culpo, a 20-year-old Rhode Island native, beat 88 other beauty queens from around the world to be crowned as Miss Universe 2012 in a gala ceremony in Las Vegas.
Philippines' Janine Tugonon was adjudged the first runner-up followed by Venezuela's Irene Esser.
Culpo, who grew up in Cranston, Rhode Island and dreams of making it big in showbiz, has brought the title back to the
US after a decade. Brooke Lee was the last winner in 1997.
Wearing a red gown, Culpo was crowned by 2011 winner Leila Lopez of Angola during the competition that last for two hours last night.
With two avid musicians as parents, Culpo and her siblings each studied different instruments throughout their childhood.
Culpo's choice instrument is cello. Her other interests include movies, museums, concerts, and making people laugh.
She hopes to land a career in either film or television. India's Shilpa Singh made only to the top 16 spot.
The panel of 10 judges included names like singer Cee Lo Green, 'Iron Chef' Masaharu M Orimoto and Pablo Sandoval of the San Francisco Giants.
- Frequent promulgation of ordinances has more to do with managerial ethos
- Indian peacekeeping abroad: Samantha Power shows some deft diplomacy
- The needs of the time shape the character of the myth- Tipu Sultan
- Raja-Mandala: Japan’s counter to China’s silk road
- It started with Perumal
- Open channels of communication are vital for democracy and governance