‘US blocked Israeli fighter sale to India’
- No plans to introduce Rs 1,000 notes, clarifies Shaktikanta Das
- CJI rules on plea by Kalikho Pul’s wife to probe note he left before suicide
- 2005 Delhi serial blasts: Forced us to eat faeces, made us sign blank papers, says Fazili
- Palaniswami as CM: DMK on hunger strike across Tamil Nadu, Madras HC to hear Stalin's plea today
- Shurhozelie Liezitsu sworn in as Nagaland Chief Minister
The United States has forced an Israeli defence firm to back out of a multi-billion dollar tender to sell new multi-role fighter planes to the Indian Air Force, an Israeli newspaper has claimed.
Under pressure from the Pentagon, the Israeli Defence Ministry has ordered Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) to back out of the deal as America has expressed concern that its technology, used by Israel, would be integrated into the Gripen jets to be offered to India, The Jerusalem Post reported.
"The stated concern was that Western technology in Israeli hands would make its way to the Indians," an unnamed Israeli official was quoted as saying.
The US objection, however, seems strange as both Boeing and Lockheed Martin, the two largest US defence contractors, are also competing for the 120 multi-role fighter aircraft deal, estimated at USD 12 billion.
Israeli officials said it was more likely that the Americans were concerned that if IAI competed for the deal with the Swedish aerospace company, Saab, the two US companies would be forced to lower their prices.
IAI was supposed to provide the electronic systems—communications, radar and electronic-warfare—for Gripen. The multi-role fighter plane is in service in Sweden, the Czech Republic, Hungary and South Africa.
- For IPL franchises, market considerations are as important as talent
- Demonetisation shows India’s social welfare measures like MGNREGS to be worryingly patchy
- Pakistan’s unrealised demographic dividend could add to its problems
- ISRO will further raise the bar with its most powerful rocket launch, the GSLV Mark-III
- Demonetisation is an example of BJP’s new statism that supplements RSS’s work at ground level
- The UP assembly election is getting louder and shriller