US detected Indian nuke test buildup in 1995
- Yechury set to succeed Karat as Pillai pulls out of race
- LIVE: Govt will take your land and not provide you adequate compensation, says Rahul Gandhi
- This govt is for the poor, and we need to spread this message: PM Modi to BJP MPs
- Maoist chief admits to loss of leaders, weakening base, asks cadres to open fronts
- Group of Ministers back, in ‘informal’ avatar
The US intelligence establishment was taken by surprise satellite imagery could have provided early warning but it was not analysed in time. Moreover, having learned from the 1995 experience (and other earlier episodes), the Indians had hidden their test preparations through a deception campaign, including far better concealment of the activities at Pokhran, NSA said.