US does it again, TV channel calls Hindu deities 'weird'
- Manmohan Singh a 'person of integrity, probity', says Sonia
- Now, a sting in Kejriwal’s tale: Colleague taped him saying let’s break Cong
- Dimapur mob lynching: Police say it's rape, Naga govt says could be consensual sex
- Aamir Khan: I apologise if 'PK' has hurt sentiments
- The AAP exchange, letter for letter
An American television station here has offended the Hindu community after a sports commentary on its website used the term "weird" to describe their deities.
The commentary on an ice hockey match published on NBC Chicago website yesterday titled 'Why a 3-1 Blackhawks Loss Isn't So Bad', detailing Nashville Predators beating Chicago Blackhawks 3-1, said Predators were "swallowing up space like some weird Hindu god".
A Nevada-based Hindu community leader, in a statement, today said about one billion Hindus worldwide worshipped their deities almost on a daily basis and labelling them as "weird" was highly hurting their feelings.
He demanded immediate removal of inappropriate words from the website and publication of an apology.
He stressed these deities were highly revered in Hinduism and inappropriate usage of Hindu deities or concepts for commercial or other agenda was not okay as it hurt devotees.
He said Hinduism was the oldest and third largest religion of the world with a rich philosophical thought.