US does it again, TV channel calls Hindu deities 'weird'
- Lok Sabha elections: 11 parties come together to defeat Cong, counter Modi, say they are the 'first front'
- RJD rebellion fizzles out, Lalu Prasad takes nine MLAs to Speaker
- Shinde U-turn: âAnger directed at social media'
- Supreme Court rejects exemption plea, Subrata Roy to appear tomorrow
- AAP gears up for LS polls, party to add gas pricing issue in manifesto to target BJP, Cong
An American television station here has offended the Hindu community after a sports commentary on its website used the term "weird" to describe their deities.
The commentary on an ice hockey match published on NBC Chicago website yesterday titled 'Why a 3-1 Blackhawks Loss Isn't So Bad', detailing Nashville Predators beating Chicago Blackhawks 3-1, said Predators were "swallowing up space like some weird Hindu god".
A Nevada-based Hindu community leader, in a statement, today said about one billion Hindus worldwide worshipped their deities almost on a daily basis and labelling them as "weird" was highly hurting their feelings.
He demanded immediate removal of inappropriate words from the website and publication of an apology.
He stressed these deities were highly revered in Hinduism and inappropriate usage of Hindu deities or concepts for commercial or other agenda was not okay as it hurt devotees.
He said Hinduism was the oldest and third largest religion of the world with a rich philosophical thought.
- Four for Sri Lanka after Lasith Malinga five-for
- Letters to the editor: The path of peace
- 48 hours on, struggle to control fire continues at Nahur tyre factory
- The message rankles
- Ex-employer of woman who jumped into Bhayender creek held for abetment to suicide
- Xi Jinping mobbed on surprise stroll in Beijing alley