US does it again, TV channel calls Hindu deities 'weird'
- Parliament LIVE: Expert committee to review use of pellet guns, says Rajnath
- Dalit fury spills over to Gujarat streets, 9 more try to end lives; CM meets family assaulted in Una
- Hit by campus protests, FTII makes new students sign ‘decorum, decency’ affidavit
- Dalits are 'soft target' for cow vigilantes: fact finding team
- Suspicious bag found inside Dubai-Amritsar SpiceJet flight
An American television station here has offended the Hindu community after a sports commentary on its website used the term "weird" to describe their deities.
The commentary on an ice hockey match published on NBC Chicago website yesterday titled 'Why a 3-1 Blackhawks Loss Isn't So Bad', detailing Nashville Predators beating Chicago Blackhawks 3-1, said Predators were "swallowing up space like some weird Hindu god".
A Nevada-based Hindu community leader, in a statement, today said about one billion Hindus worldwide worshipped their deities almost on a daily basis and labelling them as "weird" was highly hurting their feelings.
He demanded immediate removal of inappropriate words from the website and publication of an apology.
He stressed these deities were highly revered in Hinduism and inappropriate usage of Hindu deities or concepts for commercial or other agenda was not okay as it hurt devotees.
- Pakistan’s dependence on Saudi Arabia stands in their way against Islamic terrorism
- Protest over the demolition of Ambedkar Bhavan reveals a divided Dalit community
- Punjab’s drug problem is a national security issue
- Simultaneous elections will allow governments to devote four years for governance
- UN faces a crisis, but its new secretary general is unlikely to upset tradition
- South China Sea verdict has changed the ground rules for future engagement with China