US does it again, TV channel calls Hindu deities 'weird'
- In Dadri, BJP's Sangeet Som accuses UP govt of framing innocent men for lynching incident
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says doctor
- Shashank Manohar unanimously elected as new BCCI president
- Non-declarants of foreign assets to be tried under black money law: FM
- Bihar polls: 130 candidates with serious criminal charges to contest in first phase
An American television station here has offended the Hindu community after a sports commentary on its website used the term "weird" to describe their deities.
The commentary on an ice hockey match published on NBC Chicago website yesterday titled 'Why a 3-1 Blackhawks Loss Isn't So Bad', detailing Nashville Predators beating Chicago Blackhawks 3-1, said Predators were "swallowing up space like some weird Hindu god".
A Nevada-based Hindu community leader, in a statement, today said about one billion Hindus worldwide worshipped their deities almost on a daily basis and labelling them as "weird" was highly hurting their feelings.
He demanded immediate removal of inappropriate words from the website and publication of an apology.
He stressed these deities were highly revered in Hinduism and inappropriate usage of Hindu deities or concepts for commercial or other agenda was not okay as it hurt devotees.